Thursday, October 18, 2007

On Torture

In theory, torture is never the answer. But in reality? I honestly do not feel that I know enough on the subject to answer that question. My first inclination is to suggest that torture is never justified. While a compelling argument is made in the case of the “ticking bomb” scenario, people lie especially when they know all they need to do is hold on until the time runs out. However, in the case of the car thief in the assigned article, I know that if it was my child on the line, I would not hesitate to use torture if the perpetrator refused to disclose the child’s whereabouts. Perspective and self justification can become dangerous when one does not compare them to the bigger picture. Hitler felt perfectly justified in initiating the Holocaust. Every one attempts to justify their action, even when their conscious is wreaking havoc. People are proud, and no one wishes to admit their errors. To intentionally inflict pain on another being is a heinous thought.

1 comment:

David K. Braden-Johnson said...

Perhaps at times (especially in these wild, hypothetical scenarios) we are inclined to do what we should not do.